Sustainable cities and communities
Fredrik Wallin, Researcher in Energy Engineering at Mälardalen University about his research.
- BrainSigns (BS)
- Castellum AB External link.
- Dept. of Molecular Medicine (DMM) at Sapienza University
- Göteborg Energi External link.
- Mälarenergi External link.
- Wallenstam AB External link.
- Saab AB, Avionics Systems
Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Cities are hubs for ideas, commerce, culture, science, productivity, social development and much more. At their best, cities have enabled people to advance socially and economically.
However, many challenges exist to maintaining cities in a way that continues to create jobs and prosperity while not straining land and resources. Common urban challenges include congestion, lack of funds to provide basic services, a shortage of adequate housing and declining infrastructure.
The challenges cities face can be overcome in ways that allow them to continue to thrive and grow, while improving resource use and reducing pollution and poverty. The future we want includes cities of opportunities for all, with access to basic services, energy, housing, transportation and more.
Ongoing research projects
- A city for everyone? A study about young women's lives in a transforming suburb
- AI assisted CO2 capture in biomass CHP plants
- Agrivoltaics in Skåne
- Art: Ways of working across boundaries - policy lab for climate adaptation work in relation to changed precipitation patterns
- Carbon2Food – Boosting sustainable vertical farming by CO2 fertilization from air carbon capture
- Conversion of horse manure into valuable products using hydrothermal carbonization
- Creative mathematical reasoning reinforced by retrieval practice
- Drivers and Barriers for adapting the Swedish Sewage System to Meet Climate Changes
- Future-proof Cities+
- Geothermal Community Heat Technology and Transfer
- INTERCONNECT: Integrated Time Sensitive Networking and Legacy Communications in Predictable Vehicle-platforms
- InPro-Hym: inclusive and productive hybrid meetings
- Increase synergy between different energy networks (SENERGY-NETS)
- Innovation Management for Resilient Energy Systems - Orchestration of Ecosystems and Ecosystem Dynamics
- MORMOR- Monitoring of airflow and airborne particles, to provide early warning of irrespirable atmospherics conditions
- Meeting and community in the post-digital era: Understanding the texture of organizing and how it is changing
- Monitoring devices for overall FITness of DRIVErs
- Multiscale Methods for simulations of mechanical metamaterials
- New Replacement Policy Considering Environment Sustainability
- ProPlan - Smart production planning at city and regional level
- RELIEF- euRopean bio-Economy aLliancE in Farming
- Reliability and Performance of Photovoltaic Systems
- SCOSSA - Sector coupling in energy transitions as sociotechnical processes
- SLAM: Self-supervised learning for predictive maintenance
- Smart Battery Circularity - Circul8
- Smart and Circular Battery Charging Solutions
- Solar Energy Research Center Sweden Sverige (SOLVE)
- The Border-Transgressing Self: Narrative and Cultural Identity in Autofictions of Migration
- TheO - The Extended Office
- Unity4Water - Value creation of reclaimed wastewater