Seize the opportunity to study abroad and enhance your understanding of other countries' cultures and experience a new academic environment.
Here you will find everything you need to know.
The film describes the process around exchange studies from the previous academic year: how to apply, where you can go, how selection and merit evaluation work, and what happens after you submit your application. At the end of the film, contact information for MDU's international coordinators is provided.
Frequently asked questions and answers about exchange studies
MDU offers you the opportunity to study abroad with our partner universities both within the EU (Erasmus+) and outside the EU (ISEP). You can choose to go on exchange for one semester or the duration specified in the list below.
MDU has around 120 partner universities worldwide. Where you can go depends on your field of study and when you apply. Some places are open to all subjects and schools and are marked as "all subjects/all schools" in the list, while others are specific to a certain academy or field of study. Please check which locations are available for your academy and specialization before making your choice.
Available seats spring session 2024
December 15, 2023: Online application opens
February 5, 2024: Last day to apply. Online application closes. Please note that you must email the PDF that´s created when you have submitted your application to the international coordinator at your school.
Incomplete application and/or late application will not be considered.
Students that have applied for exchange studies within the United States, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong and Macau will receive notice of nomination according to:
- February 20, 2024 notice of nomination will be published in the application portal.
- February 22, 2024 last day to reply to your offer.
For other applications the following dates applies:
- March 1, 2024 notice of nomination will be published in the application portal.
- March 4, 2024 last day to reply to your offer.
Please note that the offer of nominations is published in the application portal. To keep your place you must reply to your offer.
To apply for exchange studies, you need to meet all the following criterias:
- Be a registered full-time student at MDU on the final application date.
- Have completed at least 30 HE credits at MDU.
- Have obtained at least 75 percent of the credits for the courses on which you have been registered at MDU up to and including the semester prior to the final application date.
- Fulfill specific language requirements.
Before starting your exchange studies, you need to:
- Be a registered at MDU in the semester immediately preceding the exchange semester.
- Have completed at least 60 HE credits at MDU..
- Pass grades in the specific language requirements that the receiving higher education institution stipulates, e.g. a TOEFL test for ISEP exchange.
Regarding language requirements, it depends on which language you are studying:
- For English, you typically only need basic eligibility for university studies.
- If you apply through ISEP-exchange, you might need to take the TOEFL test.
- For French, Spanish, and German, approved results of at least 15 university credits are required. Note that beginner and foundational courses in these languages are not counted as eligibility.
- For other languages, evaluations are made based on the rules for French, Spanish, and German.
It's also important to know that most of our partner universities offer courses in English, even if it's not the official language of the country. They also provide language courses for beginners in the local language.
- If you are offered a position, you need to accept it.
- You will receive instructions on how to apply at the foreign university. Complete your application and send it well before the final application date.
- You and your international coordinator will create an agreement together.
- When the university abroad receives your application, they will send you a confirmation and welcome information.
- If you plan to study outside of Europe, you need to apply for a visa and attach a copy of your admission confirmation. You are responsible for contacting the embassy.
For more information on exchange studies, contact your international coordinator:
- School of Business, Society and Engineering, EST
- School of Innovation, Design and Engineering, IDT
- School of Education, Culture, and Communication, UKK
- School of Health, Care and Social Welfare, HVV