Study Guidance

If you have any questions about your choice of study and the labour market you can contact one of the University’s Study Advisors. They can help you if you need guidance in making decisions about which programme or courses that suit your goals and future profession.

  • What do I need to do to start studying a higher education programme or course?
  • What professional opportunities are available after the education?
  • What's it like to study at university?

These are some of the questions that many people ask themselves before they take the step of starting a higher education programme. In conversations with Study Advisors, you will receive various tools to make informed decisions for your study choice and the labour market. The conversation is based on you as an individual and you will get help to discover what opportunities and options there are. Think of the Study Advisor as a support along the way but that it is you who decide.The Study Advisors at MDU have a duty of confidentiality in accordance with chapter 23, point 5 of the Public Access to Information and Secrecy Act.

Questions and answers

There are several ways for you to get closer to a choice of education and profession that you are interested in. Below are some questions that can help you make your decision.

  • What are my interests?
  • What are my skills?
  • What do I want to learn and develop?
  • Which professions and courses and study programmes seem interesting? In what way are they interesting?
  • Am I qualified to apply? What does it take for me to start a certain education?

It is a good idea to write down your observations and answers as it can help you get an overview of your thoughts.

If you are unsure what type of education would suit you, a conversation with a study counsellor can also help you make a decision. Think of a study counsellor as a neutral conversation partner.

In conversations with Study Advisors, you will receive various tools to make informed decisions about your study choice and the labour market. The conversation is based on you as an individual and you will get help to discover what opportunities and options there are. Think of the Study Advisors as a support along the way but that it is you who decide.

In order to start a higher education programme or course, you need to have the general entry requirements. There are several ways to achieve the general entry requirements. This can be getting your entry requirements through education in upper-secondary school, adult education, independent adult education college or a foreign upper-secondary education.

If you do not have a complete education at upper-secondary level, it is possible to supplement your education through studies at, for example, adult education in your municipality of residence. It may also be possible to obtain the general entry requirements by applying through prior learning. For more information about general entry requirements and type of education, see universityadmissions.se.

Your grades External link.

If you are studying with a degree as a goal, there are specific requirements for each degree course. Some degrees can only be achieved through programmes (especially those leading to a professional degree), other degrees can also be achieved through freestanding courses.

A programme consists of courses that together meet the qualification requirements for the education you are studying. However, if you are taking freestanding courses, it is important that you continuously check with the study counsellors in your subject so that your courses meet the qualification requirement.

Another difference between studying programmes and freestanding courses is that you as a degree programme student have guaranteed admission for compulsory courses within the programme if you meet the entry requirements, while as an independent student you must compete for a place for each course.

It is also possible to take freestanding courses for a short period for, for example, continuing professional development or if you are curious to try a new subject.

Most degree programmes start in the autumn semester, but there are also programmes that start during the spring semester. The range of freestanding courses is about the same during the autumn and spring semester.

For the autumn education period, the application period runs from mid-March to mid-April with a few exceptions. For the spring semester you can apply from mid-September to mid-October. Exact dates for your application can be found on Universityadmissions.se External link.. On the page you will also find application dates for summer courses.

Are you unsure if your grades are good enough to get into the programme or study course you intend to apply for? Then the Swedish Scholastic Aptitude Test is an option for you. Here you will find more information about the test: www.studera.nu External link.

There may also be opportunities to re-take courses to try to raise your grades from upper-secondary school via adult education in your municipality of residence – please contact the adult education in your municipality for more information.

If you are willing to apply to several higher education institutions, it will also increase your chances of getting a place. Perhaps there are other courses and study programmes you can also apply for that lead to similar professions?

We have gathered lots of information for you as a New student at www.mdu.se that you can read but you can also contact the Student Centre to get assistance.

You can find the programme syllabus, programme timetable, course syllabus and literature list at Find your syllabus.

If you are studying a programme, you will find the names and course codes of the courses you will be studying in the upcoming semesters in your programme timetable on the above page.

There are several different support and service functions that can benefit you as a student.

Student Health Care

As a student you can visit Student Health Care to get health care advice and support from our counsellors and health advisors. All visits are free of charge, they have a duty of confidentiality and do not keep records.

Below you can see examples of what the conversations might be about, but you don't need to know in advance what you need help with.

  • stress
  • depression, anxiety, worry or communication apprehension
  • study difficulties, performance-related pressure or that you always postpone things until the last minute
  • life crises, deaths or illnesses
  • relationship problems
  • health and lifestyle issues such as sleep, food, exercise, alcohol, or tobacco

Welcome to Student Health Care

Studying with a disability

MDU offers various types of support and help if you have a disability, so that you can study at the University on the same terms as others.

There is special educational support available if you have a permanent disability such as dyslexia, ADHD or chronic diseases that affect your studies. The support is designed according to your needs and can consist of, for example, note-taking support, extended time for a written examination, mentoring support or input literature.

Studying with a disability

Study techniques

Exam coming up? A lot to read and learn in too short a time? Don’t worry. With a good study technique your chances of succeeding with your studies will increase. Good study habits will help you not only to learn new things but also to make you less stressed. Here are some valuable tips along the way.

Study technique

If you need guidance and information about your studies, you are welcome to contact a study counsellor. They can also help you with study planning. We have a study counsellor for each degree programme for those who are studying with us but also central study counsellors who can help you if you are thinking of taking the next step to a higher education. Central study counsellors can also help those who study courses and programmes and wish to have guidance on their studies and future professions.

Below you will find contact details for our study counsellors at both general and programme-specific level.

Higher education institutions and universities can issue two different types of degrees, professional qualifications, or general qualifications (Degree of Bachelor).

A professional qualification is a type of qualification for courses and study programmes leading to specific professions. In order to obtain a professional qualification, you need to study a programme that leads to the right professional qualification and follows the programme syllabus. Often a professional qualification is required in order to apply for professional status qualification, mainly in the school sphere and in healthcare.

General qualifications are broader and not as detailed as a professional qualification, in terms of the course content in the degrees. UKÄ’s (the Swedish Higher Education Authority’s) definition of a general qualification, is that it is a non-vocational degree, which is achieved after higher education with a certain specialisation, part of which focuses on a main domain, determined by the higher education institution in question. This means that you can get a general qualification after completing one of our programmes, but you can also take various freestanding courses and get a general qualification. General qualifications at Bachelor’s level is the Higher Education Diploma and Degree of Bachelor, and at Master’s level a Master's (60-credits) and a Master's (120-credits) degree.

At MDU we offer the following professional degrees:

  • Degree of Bachelor of Arts in Pre-School Education
  • Degree of Bachelor of Arts in Primary Education
  • Degree of Bachelor of Science in Engineering
  • Degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing
  • Degree of Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
  • Degree of Bachelor of Science in Social Work
  • Degree of Master of Arts/Science in Secondary Education
  • Degree of Master of Science in Engineering
  • Postgraduate Diploma in Midwifery
  • Postgraduate Diploma in Special Educational Needs
  • Postgraduate Diploma in Special Needs Training
  • Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Nursing

To view forecasts of labour market demand for the various professions, you can visit Arbetsförmedlingen (Swedish Public Employment Service) External link. and Framtid.se External link. where you will find forecasts for professions in many different areas.

When you are admitted as a student at MDU, you can apply for a credit transfer from your previous studies. It may be possible to apply for a later part of a programme if you have already taken courses corresponding to previous semesters of a programme.

Credit transfers

An approved leave from studies means that you take a temporary break in your studies but plan to continue studying the following semester. For programmes that commence once during the academic year, the approved leave from studies will be valid for two semesters. If you have a special reason and can show this with a certificate, you can get your leave from studies approved with a guarantee of a place on the programme. Special reasons can be social or medical. Other circumstances such as caring for children, military or civilian service or student union duties can also qualify as special reasons.

If you take a break in your studies without informing the University, you will lose your place. Therefore it is advisable to discuss a potential break in your studies with a study counsellor. Please remember to also inform CSN (The Swedish Board of Student Finance) if you receive student finance.

Form to apply for approved leave from studies Pdf, 121.7 kB.

If you don’t want to continue your studies on a programme that you have started, then you can apply for non-completion of studies. This implies that you will terminate your place. If you receive student finance then you must also inform CSN (The Swedish Board of Student Finance). It may be possible for you to return to the educational programme at a later stage but only if there is an available place. If you are planning to continue studying on the programme you should instead apply for approved leave from studies.

Form to apply for non-completion of studies Word, 54.4 kB.

Contact or book a meeting with a Study Advisor

Study Advisors for general questions

If you have general questions regarding study choices and education, you are welcome to book an appointment with our central study counsellors. To prevent the spread of infection of the coronavirus, we currently offer a digital meeting or a telephone call.

Ask the central study counsellors

You can also contact studievagledning@mdu.se to get in touch with a study counsellor.

Email studievagledning@mdu.se

Digital drop-in questions and answers

Are you thinking of taking up studies or are you a student at Mälardalen University and have questions about your studies? Welcome to join the central study counsellors where you can ask all kinds of questions about studies and the labour market. Every Wednesday you can join our digital drop-in session between 12:00-12:45.

Connect to the digital drop-in

Book a meeting

Book a meeting with our Study Advisors for general questions

Book a meeting

Book phone time

You can book a 15 minute telephone time for short questions about our programmes, applications, entry requirements, selection or if you have other questions about higher education.

Book phone time

Study Advisors for programme-specific questions

Porträttbilder på studievägledare

MDU's Study Advisors at programme and course level can answer questions about specific programmes and subjects, course selection, study planning, degrees and much more.

Contact the Study Advisors by email, phone or through MDU's booking system.

To prevent the spread of infection of the coronavirus, we currently offer a digital meeting or a telephone call.

Study Advisors at EST

Ask Mikael Lindberg about:

  • International Business Management
  • International Marketing Programme
  • Master’s (60 credits) Programme in Business Administration
  • Master’s (60 credits) Programme in International Marketing
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Sustainable Energy Systems
  • Courses in Business Administration, Economics, Commercial Law and History

Ask Britt-Marie Hagman about:

  • Business Studies Programme
  • Master of Science Programme in Energy Systems
  • Bachelor of Science Programme in Building Engineering
  • Bachelor of Science Programme in Energy Engineering
  • Courses in Building Engineering, Energy Engineering, Environmental Sciences and Statistics

Ask Susanne Porswald about:

  • Master of Science Programme in Industrial Engineering

Study Advisors at HVV

Ask Maud Andersson about:

  • Physiotherapist Programme
  • Nursing Programme (Eskilstuna, Nyköping
  • Courses in Medicine, Physiotherapy, Nursing/Nursing Sciences and Health Sciences


Ask Eleonore Mihaljuk about:

  • Midwifery Programme
  • Nursing Programme (Västerås)
  • Specialist Nursing Programme

Ask Jenny Eklund about:

  • Behavioural Science Programme
  • Public Health Programme
  • Social Work Programme
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Occupational Science
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Public Health Sciences
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Physiotherapy with a specialisation in Behavioural Medicine
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Social Work
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Health Sciences with a specialisation in Nursing
  • Courses in Psychology and Sociology

Study Advisors at IDT

Ask Helen Lundblad about:

  • Information Design – Informative Illustration
  • Information Design – Interaction Design
  • Information Design – Spatial Design
  • Information Design – Text Design
  • Innovation Programme
  • Bachelor of Science Programme in Production and Product Design
  • Master of Science Programme in Production and Product Design
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Product and Process Development - Production and Logistics
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Innovation and Design
  • Courses in Information Design, Innovation Technology and Product and Process Development

Book an appointment with me by phone or e-mail.

Ask Malin Åshuvud about:

  • Computer Networks and Data Communications
  • Bachelor of Science Programme in Network Engineering
  • Computer Science Programme
  • Master of Science Programme in Robotics
  • Master's programme in Software Engineering
  • Master of Science Programme in Dependable Aerospace Systems
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Intelligent Embedded Systems
  • Courses in the subject areas Computer Science, Electronics and Aerospace Engineering
  • Applied AI

Study Advisors at UKK

Ask Åse By about:

  • Primary School Teacher Programme, Preschool and Grades 1–3
  • Primary School Teacher Programme, Preschool and Grades 1–3, integrated work experience
  • Primary School Teacher Programme, Preschool and Grades 1–3, integrated work experience
  • Primary School Teacher Programme, Preschool and Grades 4–6
  • Special Educational Needs Programme
  • Special Needs Teacher Education Programme, specialisation in language, writing and reading development, mathematics development, development disorders
  • Special Needs Training – government CPD initiative for teachers
  • Freestanding courses in Special Educational Needs
  • Freestanding courses in Teaching and Learning
  • Technical Foundation Year

Ask Ann Hagernäs about:

  • School Teacher programme
  • Preschool Teacher Programme
  • Teacher Education Programme
  • Master’s (120 credits) Programme in Didactics
  • Courses in the didactics subject area
  • Teachers and Supervision
  • Supplementary Educational Programme


Ask Malin Lundin about:

  • Analytical finance
  • Master’s programme in Financial Engineering
  • Bachelor’s Programme in Engineering Mathematics
  • Master’s Programme in Engineering Mathematics
  • Languages and Communications Programme
  • Bachelor’s Programme in Languages and Humanities
  • Courses in English, Swedish, Swedish as Second Language, German, General literary studies, Mathematics and Physics

Ask Staffan Sandström about:

  • Chamber Music Programme
  • Courses in Chamber Music

Questions and concerns

Email studievagledning@mdh.se to get in touch with a Study Advisor. Telephone: +46 (0)21-10 13 50,
telephone hours: Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00 to 12:00.

This also applies if you work in a school, adult education, public employment services or similar and are interested
in getting more information about higher education courses and study programmes.