Good to know before you depart

Here is information that might be good to know before you go on foreign studies.

Well in advance of your trip to a foreign university, you should establish a written agreement on which courses you should take during your studies abroad. This written agreement is called a Learning Agreement. Contact the international coordinator at your school to get more information about your Learning Agreement and what is expected of you.


You will receive a number of credits equivalent to full-time studies in the academic system of the university you are attending abroad. When you sign your Learning Agreement, you and your international coordinator determine which courses you should study and how many credits/points you should receive from the host university.


CSN grants study aid for foreign studies at approved universities and colleges, provided that your home university ensures that studying abroad will be counted towards your Swedish degree. CSN also grants up to a certain amount for studies at foreign universities. The study aid is based on the cost of living in the country where you study. How much money you can get can be found on CSN's website.


It is essential to check various insurances and decide which one suits you best. This applies whether you travel within or outside the EU. You may need to supplement with your insurance.

MDU offers free group insurance for all students studying abroad for one or two semesters. This is called "Student UT" and is provided by Kammarkollegiet. Before you travel, you should report your exact dates of stay to the central international coordinator to get your insurance certificate. In some cases, the university you will attend requires you to purchase insurance, regardless of whether you have Swedish insurance that applies abroad. This mainly concerns the USA and Australia.

If you travel within the EU or EEA, you should order the EU insurance card from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency. It gives you the right to necessary medical care in the country you study under the same conditions as the country's residents.

Passport, visa, and residence permit

Visa rules can change, and it is your responsibility to check with the embassy or consulate which documents you need to apply for a visa. Make sure your passport is valid throughout your stay abroad.

Residence Permit in EU countries

For studies shorter than three months in the EU, a residence permit is required. Apply at the local police station as soon as possible after arrival. The requirements for obtaining a residence permit vary from country to country, but you usually need a valid passport and a Swedish EHIC card, E128. You may also need to prove that you are enrolled in a valid educational institution and that you can support yourself during your stay in the country.

Information on what applies to each country can be obtained through their respective embassies.

Countries outside the EU

For studies in countries outside the EU, you must assume that a visa is required for the entire study period and that this must be clarified well in advance. You can apply once you have received a letter of admission or any other required documents necessary for the visa application.

Sometimes vaccination records or a declaration that you can support yourself during your stay in the country are needed. Check with the respective embassy for what applies.