Security in computer networks, distance course
With the constant grows of connectivity and networks becoming more heterogeneous, flexible and opened, security is of utmost importance. In this course you will get an introduction to network security!
About the course
This course provides an introduction into network security and covers core security concepts such as, e.g., firewalls, authentication, certificate management, encryption, "stateful packet inspection", VPN and others. During the course you are provided with slide and video materials as well as a set of practical assignments and thus gain both theoretical and practical knowledge and skills needed for the installation, troubleshooting, and monitoring of network devices to maintain the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of data and devices.
Requirements: Confidence within routing and switching. This can be achieved by finishing the course Computer Networks I 7,5 ECTS credits or corresponding.
You will learn to
- implement a perimeter security by configuring firewalls and routers
- explain and implement IP-sec and VPN solutions
- demonstrate a thorough knowledge of how to secure the switches and routers in a computer network and have a good understanding of the various threats and attacks towards network resources
- understand and explain the basics of cryptography and hashing
- understand and explain the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) and understand the importance of and be able to create policies and documentation for an organization.
You’ll find the entry requirements in the course description. After submitting your application, the next step is to submit documentation to demonstrate your eligibility for the course. Most academic credentials from Sweden are retrieved automatically. Wait a few days after submitting your application - if you still can’t see your academic credentials om My pages, please upload them.
If you have studied in another country, you must provide transcripts of your academic studies and of your English proficiency. Exactly what you need to submit and how, depends on several factors. You can read more on universityadmissions.se or antagning.se.
If the course requires work experience, you need to provide an employer’s certificate. You can download a template for employer’s certificate below.
No academic qualifications?
Many courses requires that you have previous academies studies, but we validate work experience to assess if you have the knowledge that is equal to the eligibility requirements for the course.
If you don’t have the formal qualifications required, please send in a certificate of employment (current or previous) and a CV/Description of competence that describes your educational and professional background. Please include a short description of your work experience, not only the work title.
Use the CV/ Description of competence template below and fill in the information requested.
You can also use our template for Employers certificate if you like.
• Download a template for CV/Description of competence Word, 28 kB, opens in new window.
• Download a template for Employers certificate Word, 19.5 kB, opens in new window.
If you have any questions regarding eligibility or application please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org