Introduction to IoT Infrastructures
This course provides a fundamental knowledge of IoT, targeting physical devices, communication and computation infrastructure. The course gives theoretical knowledge as well as hands-on experiences to build an IoT application.
About the course
Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the concept of connecting physical devices all around the world. The “thing” can refer to any device in the range from a simple sensor to a more sophisticated device such as a smartphone. From the industrial perspective, experts believe that by 2020 more than half of the businesses will integrate IoT.
This course focuses on fundamental aspects of IoT infrastructures. The goal is to provide knowledge and skills needed to build Internet of Things systems, going beyond traditional Embedded Systems courses; introducing a conceptual framework that embraces automation, communication and new forms of computing like Cloud and Fog/Edge.
The IoT World Forum proposes a seven-layer reference model for IoT, from physical devices in the first layer up to business process layer on the top. This course focuses only on the first three layers, including physical devices and controllers; connectivity; and computing layers.
- The course is fully online and there is no physical lecture, even for the examination
- The course is flexible in a sense that you can read the course material within the course duration in your pace, although we have a recommendation as well
- The assignments are available from the beginning for those who have some backgrounds in the topic, although the grades will come at the end of the course
- The project work in this course has a flexibility to choose among topics with different platforms, e.g., you can choose to do on a real raspberry pi or on simulation
- The course pace is 17% which makes it easy for those who have less time to put on the course
You will learn to:
- describe the fundamental concepts of IoT infrastructure
- evaluate which IoT devices and communication infrastructure are suitable for an IoT application
- use IoT platforms to collect information from IoT devices and visualize them
- develop a simple IoT application in a simulation tool and evaluate it.
Entry requirements100 credits where 60 credits in computer science and/or electronics and 7.5 credits in programming. In addition English course A/English course 6 is required.
You can also apply for the course and get your eligibility evaluated based on knowledge acquired in other ways, such as work experience, other studies etc.
You’ll find the entry requirements in the course description. After submitting your application, the next step is to submit documentation to demonstrate your eligibility for the course. Most academic credentials from Sweden are retrieved automatically. Wait a few days after submitting your application - if you still can’t see your academic credentials om My pages, please upload them.
If you have studied in another country, you must provide transcripts of your academic studies and of your English proficiency. Exactly what you need to submit and how, depends on several factors. You can read more on universityadmissions.se or antagning.se.
If the course requires work experience, you need to provide an employer’s certificate. You can download a template for employer’s certificate below.
No academic qualifications?
Many courses requires that you have previous academies studies, but we validate work experience to assess if you have the knowledge that is equal to the eligibility requirements for the course.
If you don’t have the formal qualifications required, please send in a certificate of employment (current or previous) and a CV/Description of competence that describes your educational and professional background. Please include a short description of your work experience, not only the work title.
Use the CV/ Description of competence template below and fill in the information requested.
You can also use our template for Employers certificate if you like.
• Download a template for CV/Description of competence Word, 28 kB, opens in new window.
• Download a template for Employers certificate Word, 19.5 kB, opens in new window.
If you have any questions regarding eligibility or application please send an e-mail to email@example.com
The courses are part of the FutureE project where MDU offers online courses in the areas of AI, Environmental and Energy Engineering, Software and Computer Systems Engineering.For companies that want to collaborate on competence development